Birria is a spicy stew, traditionally made from goat or beef meat.
|Beef- Chuck pot roast and Shank||1Kg|
|Beef Stock bullion||1|
|Apple cider vinegar||2 table spoons|
|Whole black pepper||10|
|Cinnamon stick||1 small|
|Whole cumin||1/4 teaspoon|
|All spice||1/4 teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1/4 teaspoon|
- Preparing the Beef:
- Cut the Beef in large pieces and coat it with apple cider vinegar (2 table spoons). Then coat the Beef with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the Marinade:
- Heat oil in a pan
- Then add the chiles to it. The chiles should be fried in the oil for a very short duration (2-5 seconds each side). If you fry the chiles for a long duration this will give them a bitter taste which will ruin your sauce. Remove them from the pan and add into a bowl filled with water.
- Add half of an onion and 4 garlic cloves to the pan and fry for a until onion is translucent
- Add the chiles, garlic cloves, and onion into a food blender. Add the spices (3 bay laves, black pepper, oregano, cloves, cinnamon, cumin, all spice, thyme, ground ginger and beef stock bullion). Add water. Blend to make a paste.
- Coat the meat with the chili paste and marinate in fridge overnight.
- Next day add the marinated meat to a large casserole pan.
- Add water in the caserole pan to cover the meat completely.
- Add half an onion and 2 bay leaves to this and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low to medium and cook for 3-4 hours.
- Keep checking the stew- it should not become too dry. Add water as needed.
- The meat will be done when it breaks apart from the tongs. Remove the meat and shred.
- Strain the stew with a sieve.
- Roast the tomatoes
- And add to the food blender and make a paste
- Add to the stew. Add some oregano.
- Check salt and add to taste
- Now dip the tortillas in the stew and add to a pan
- Add Cheese (Oaxaca cheese or mozzarella cheese) to the tacos
- Add pulled meat, onions, coriander to the tacos.
- Add salsa roja to the tacos for extra heat.
- Squeeze lime on the tacos.